In the ninth book in the exciting Grave Tales series, journalists Helen Goltz and Chris Adams visit Tasmania cemeteries to unearth some great tales.
- Mark Jeffrey: a Port Arthur prisoner who lived with the 1100 or so deceased residents on the Isle of the Dead and should have been buried there…
- Sylvia McArthur: a girl who died young but made her mark documenting in letters to a newspaper’s children’s page what life was like in the mining towns.
- Frederick Thompson: was the last man hanged in Tasmania. His crime, the murder of young, Eveline Mary Maughan. He claimed his innocence to the end.
- Roy Cazaly: footy fans still sing the song about him, Up There Cazaly, but the champion moved to Tasmania where his life took him on a different track.
- John Joseph Sweeney: a Tasmanian soldier who joined the NZ forces as a tunneller, planting explosives under German trenches, but met a terrible fate.
- The Neva: the female convict ship that carried over 200 passengers and crew, but when it hit a reef, it was not women and children first.
- Thomas Nevin may have created the first mugshots in Tasmania, capturing poignant images of men who ended their days on Tasmania’s gallows.
- Martin Cash: has been described as a rarity – a bushranger who lived to retire.
… And 10 more stories in this volume.
Publication date: released 1 October 2022.
Category: Non-fiction, crime, true crime, Australiana, history, modern history, biography, cold case.
Publisher: Atlas Productions
ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Journalists, Helen Goltz and Chris Adams have between them spent many decades in the print and electronic media working for network television, radio, and state and community newspapers. With a joint love of history, digging for a good story and storytelling, they have collaborated to create a series of books that brings our history to life again.
ALSO AVAILABLE IN THE GRAVE TALES SERIES:
- Grave Tales: Brisbane Vol.1
- Grave Tales: Great Ocean Road – Geelong to Port Fairy
- Grave Tales: Bruce Highway (with the support of the Queensland State Government, through Arts Queensland)
- Grave Tales: Sydney Vol.1
- Grave Tales: Queensland’s Great South West – Ipswich to Augathella
- Grave Tales: True Crime Vol.1
- Grave Tales: Scenic Rim & Surrounds, Qld
- Grave Tales: Melbourne Vol.1