By Helen Goltz and Chris Adams
In cemeteries throughout Australia, gravestones hint at our history – tales of early settlement, unsolved murders, love lost, mystery, tragedy, health epidemics, scandal and sacrifice. Grave Tales reveals more than the headstone can ever convey by tracing the tumultuous journeys that lead to these final resting places.
Grave Tales Brisbane Vol. 1 visits five Brisbane cemeteries and features people who willingly or unwilling, were participants in events that made local and national headlines. They may have lived in the same suburbs, streets, and even the same houses as exist now, or unexpectantly came to rest in a Brisbane cemetery.
Meet the train driver who died on the Samford Range with 14 of his passengers; the working girl who caught the Pearl ferry and perished in the river; the Jack the Ripper suspect who had 20 wives, mostly all at once; the only woman ever hanged in Queensland; a boxer who should have been world champ but was a victim of the race card; a soldier who wanted to die with Harry ‘Breaker’ Morant; and more.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Journalists, Helen Goltz and Chris Adams have between them spent many decades in the print and electronic media working for network television, radio, and state and community newspapers. With a joint love of history, digging for a good story and storytelling, they have collaborated to create a series of books that brings our history to life again.
Also available in the Grave Tales series:
- Grave Tales: Great Ocean Road – Geelong to Port Fairy
- Grave Tales: Bruce Highway (supported by the Queensland State Government, through Arts Queensland)
- Grave Tales: Sydney Vol.1
- Grave Tales: True Crime Vol.1
- Grave Tales: Melbourne Vol.1
- Grave Tales: Queensland’s Great South West.
INFORMATION – available in paperback and ebook
Price and availability:
- $25 inc postage in Australia only, if purchased directly from
the Grave Tales shop;
- Available as an ebook and paperback from Amazon (postage cost determined by Amazon);
- Also available through all good bookstores at the recommended price of $29.95.
- Audio book available from Audible.
Format: Trade paperback and ebook
Publication date: April 2017.
Category: Non-fiction, Australiana, history, modern history.
Publisher: Atlas Productions